Noumea, the capital city of New Caledonia has so much to offer, you won’t get bored, as long as you are willing to take a tour and escape from the town centre. Here are 6 things we recommend to do on your day trip in Noumea.
- Start your day by a visit to the local market, where you will get a feeling of what New Caledonia is about: diverse and rich: taste letchis and mangos in summer: simply yummy 😉
- Any day trip in Noumea should include some sightseeing: there are a few lookouts and the view over the lagoon is just amazing. The Ouen Toro lookout, though it has become very touristic remains a must see.
- If you come during the summer period, we recommend a swim, either at one of Noumea’s beach, or within a 30 minutes’ drive, you can enjoy the fresh water from one of the rivers around Noumea.
- Time for lunch: there are lots of good restaurants in Noumea. Some are reasonably priced and you get quality food. We know them well, just ask for advice.
- After lunch, include a cultural visit to your day trip to Noumea: The Cultural and Art Centre jean marie tjibaou is a must see and you can also visit one of the museum of Noumea (City Museum, 2nd world war museum or Maritime museum): You will discover thousands of years of kanak settlement in New Caledonia, as well as the last 150 years since colonization.
- The sun sets down and it is time to relax. Enjoy a fresh drink at Lemon Bay or discover the kava experience while watching the sunset. A perfect way to finish the day.
It is already time to say goodbye, or tata as New Caledonians say, but memories will stay forever.
Thank you, Merci, Oleti